Thursday, June 9, 2011

it's just a little water

At the risk of sounding, well, crazy, I have recently found that I lie to myself at times.  I don't know if it's because I don't want to accept the event or if I think that by telling myself something different it will change the course that I'm thrown down.  Case in point:  

Yesterday I woke and went to the laundry room to get something from the dryer.  As I approached I found that I had stepped on something cold and wet.  {Oh how I wish that I could tell you that I'm the type of person that awakes and jumps out of bed right when the alarm goes off;  a dance, skip, singing kind of morning person whose optimistic approach to the first dawns of day are so contagious that you would think you had walked straight into a Disney musical.  Alas, I am not. Very much the opposite, really.  I do fear that if we ever have children and they get this from me there will be terrible school mornings... gnashing of teethe, hair pulling, ice water, lights turned on, covers snatched off...and yes, that will probably be our child trying to wake me. Anyway}  It's a  terrible feeling first thing in the morning. Reluctantly looking down I saw beneath my foot a white t-shirt, soaking wet, lying in front of the washing machine.  And here comes the lie. 
My first thought, "Did Patrick drop the shirt when he put the clothes in the dryer last night." However, my gut was saying, "That shirt is too wet to have been dropped. The washer has to be leaking..." So, of course, that afternoon, I asked Patrick if he dropped a shirt. And, of course, as you have guessed, he hadn't.  We ended up finding multiple leaks when we lifted the washer up. Including one that looked like it was coming straight from the pump.  After discussing, we decided it was best to replace it. This led to an adventure in Dublin the following night. 

So, here I am.  Listening to our new (somewhat loud) washing machine fresh from The Home Depot. It was not in our plans to fork over money for it but we did manage to find a nice small washer for, well, cheap.  A few pictures to remember our marital journey to buy our first washing machine together.  And to think of what can change just because of a little water.



A little struggle to get it inside but we did it!




My awesome husband working on opening the box




The finished product up and running!

As a footnote I have to give some props to my husband. He remained patient and helped me lower my stress level through this. So, it is only fitting that I end this with a few of his wise words:

"It agitates. It cleans clothes. Congratulations."

1 comment: